Monday 15 November 2010

Fun With Wool



So I'm at home ill. Every year at this time of year I get sick with a sinus infection.  It's made worse by the fact that I should have been tucked up in bed on Saturday but instead had to be in a hot and stuffy shop.


So Gordon has been working in the shop (which he hates) for 4 days straight whilst I try and recover at home. The trouble with being here is that there are loads on jobs which need doing on the house, sewing which could be done and it's really tempting to just get on and do it all - but I know if I do it will make me feel worse. So instead I've decided to occupy myself with a task which is less demanding.


I have been sorting out my wool - of course I've had a few feline helpers! I have loads of wool left over from when I used to knit scarves and purses to sell in the shop - an absolutely massive box! It contains all sorts of odds and ends as well as unfinished projects. My first job is to finish off a long scarf I started knitting 2 years ago! Nearly done now - just about another 100 rows and some tassles to add. Should keep me cosy this winter!


Since watching Kirsty's homemade home I've been thinking about learning to crochet. Someone in Afflecks gave me a quick demo and I watched a youtube tutorial and managed to crochet this square - not bad considering I've never tried it before! I think when I've perfected how to hold the yarn to get the right tension I should be good to go!


My first crochet work will be to repair my lovely blanket. I've had this since 1992 - an old lady my mum knew crocheted this for me but it was accidentally thrown in the fire at a beach party (but that's another story). So I'll and cut out the burnt sections and replace with new sections, then finally join both pieces together properly.



I've always kept it as a spare blanket but recently started using it as a throw over my aging sofa. My plan is to repair this one and make another for the other sofa from the huge box of wool. A nice little project for winter.....

No comments:

Post a Comment