Friday 4 March 2011

My New Favourite Magazine


Like any other fashion designer, I love magazines. I've got a huge collection of old Vogues and Elle's and between us Gordon and I have a pretty impressive back catalogue of The Face. Lately though, I've found myself a bit bored of the magazines on offer - they all seem to be full of adverts and either overly concerned with high fashion or obessed with the high street. There's not many magazines that offer a little bit of everything so with them becoming increasingly more expensive (or me poorer) I've been buying much less than I used to. Often I'm guilty of buying a magazine, flicking through it and forgetting all about it, coming back to it months later to read the articles. After tidying the front room in January and discovering 3 magazines I'd not even touched I thought this has to stop and I've been quite good at resisting temptation.

But stuck in a hospital waiting room (for my sinus appointment) I browsed through the magazines WH Smith had to offer and discovered a great new magazine. "Oh Comely" is a beautifully presented magazine with an arty flavour containing a lovely mix of styled photoshoots, interesting articles, illustration and even recipies. I picked up issue 4 so I've missed out on a few. I was just really impressed with the quality of the writing and the mix of articles - it's been a long time since a magazine has given me that little feeling of joy from cover to cover.

Here's some other magazines I like (and I'd buy every month if money was no object!)

I love Lula for styling and photography but at £5.99 it's an expensive lookbook. There are articles and interviews in there I enjoy reading but they are very much in the fashion vein.

Cloth Magazine is brilliant for craft projects and inspiration of things to make and we also sell it in our shop. I love it's small format and textured paper, they feel more like small books than magazines to be treasured and referred back to time and time again.

Nylon (US) is great for street influenced fashion, it is very fashion focussed but because it's published in New York it has a bit more exciting mix of brands and is a bit more edgy. It's harder to find but I can usually get this from Magma in Manchester - just round the corner from our shop!

Vogue is still great for the quality of the photography but it really does focus on the high end fashion world - which seems so far away - but it's nice to treat yourself once in a while and see how the other half live!

But my most bought magazines are probably Glamour or Grazia - perfect for a fashion fix on the train home, with a splash of celebrity gossip. They are an easy way to see what 'looks' are around on the high street without having to get out there myself. I like the real stories that Glamour has to offer and the Street Style features that Grazia provide.

And on the subject of magazines - have a look at this great Magazine put together by my friend Hannah as part of her final year project -  pretty impressive Hannah - well done!!


No comments:

Post a Comment