Tuesday 8 March 2011

Vegan Pancake Day





Okay so I'm not Vegan - but I am allergic to Milk and Eggs so Pancake Day has often been a bit of a nightmare for me. But I discovered this great pancake recipe a few years ago so if I want to join with tradition and have pancakes I can!!! 


Vegan Pancakes
  • 1 cup flour (whichever kind you prefer - plain makes crispier pancakes, self-raising thicker ones)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup soyamilk (I prefer unsweetened)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
Mix together the dry indredients, then slowly add the soyamilk and oil, beating together to form a smooth liquid the consistancy of single cream. I find that pancakes work so much better if the batter is chilled for at least 1/2 an hour before you make them. 

Now when you come to actually making them, I'm sure everyone has their own favourite ways - mine tip is to use a lighter weight, non-stick pan. Get the pan really hot with a good splash of vegetable oil, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. Start with 1/4 cup of batter in the middle of the pan and lift off and swirl around till it gets to the edges, if you need more, fill in the gaps. That way you get a lovely crispy pancake. Back on the heat, it will only take a few minutes to turn golden brown, then either flip over with a flick of the wrist - or use a spatula!
You'll need to re-oil the pan between pancakes for the best effect, and keep an eye on the temperature as the pan can overheat very quickly!

I love to eat them hot with a little sugar and lemon - mmmmmm!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment