Wednesday 2 March 2011

Who Can Resist Manchester's Vintage Shops?


I know, I know. I'm supposed to be selling things and de-cluttering not buying more. But I took a brief detour into some of Manchester's fab vintage stores on Saturday (I only went out to by some Black Lace from Abakhan) and spied this beautiful coat in Ryan Vintage.

Ryan Vintage is like a big vintage warehouse. Yes it smells, yes the clothes are often tatty and flawed but if you like a good old rummage and can see past the whiff then there are bargains to be had. My 80's original punk style coat has that Vivienne Westwood / Malcom Mclaren look but was only £20. The only problem is that it doesn't quite fit - no problem I'll make some alterations...

I love the OTT puffed sleeve so I'm going to be radical here and put a shoulder pad back into it (someone had taken them out) - that will lift and empasise the shoulder detailling. The straight cut is no good on a classic pear like me so I'm going to put a velvet panel in the back to allow the front to swing forwards - I should be able to button it then! And I'm thinking I might finish it off with a detail at the centre back to re-define the waist - pulling it tighter to make a more fit and flare style. I'll post pictures when I've finished.....

If you like vintage shopping and haven't been to Manchester you're missing out. Tucked off the main high street is a street called Oldham Street which boasts not just one or two but eight vintage shops including a fab Oxfam Originals! Off this main street of The Northern Quarter are many, many more.  Afflecks Palace, where our shop is right in the middle of the NQ and this contains at least another 10 stalls and shops selling vintage wares. Spread out on all sides there are bars and coffee shops, records stores and independent boutiques - it makes a fab day out.

I also called in at Retro Rehab - this is my favourite vintage store in Manchester. It's just so pretty. They have some truly stunning vintage dresses, all perfectly laundered and fresh to wear - it's a complete contrast to the grubbiness of Ryan's across the road. But for those in the know their bargain rail is the place to grab a gem of vintage clothing that's a bit too odd to wear off the rack - but is perfect for a sewing project. I grabbed a bag of goodies off the £3 rail & next post I'll show you how I re-work a vintage dress from start to finish.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, I live in Manchester but haven't really braved the vintage shops so this is a good guide for a novice like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm hoping to put together a guide to shopping in Manchester's Northern Quarter so watch this space!

    ReplyDelete